Thursday, November 1, 2007

X-Files, Buffy and Spider-Man 4!

Lots of cool news out today.

The Hollywood Reporter reports that “The X-Files” sequel is no longer just a rumor. Production will begin Dec. 10 with David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson and Chris Carter all on board for the sequel. Awesome! Loved this show. I’m glad they are doing a stand-alone movie and not focusing on the muddled conspiracy mythos that drug the show down in its final years. I can’t wait!

The Hollywood Reporter says Sony is planning “Spider-Man 4” apparently with or without its original cast and director. The studio has already hired a new writer, James Vanderbilt who wrote the serial-killer thriller "Zodiac." I’m always excited to see Spidey on the big screen, but I haven’t decided if a fourth installment would be a good idea. As much as I loved it, there was so much chaos in the third one, I think Sam Raimi and Sony need to step back, take a rest, and start fresh a few years down the road when Maguire and Dunst have had a chance to do other projects and are more willing to step back into their iconic roles. But, that’s just me. I have a feeling if Sony has hired a new writer, they’re already planning to pump out another film as soon as possible with a new director and cast too. Time will tell.

I was excited to see that “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” creator Joss Whedon has a new project that will star Eliza Dushku (Faith, “Buffy”). I worry because it will be on Fox, a network famous for canceling awesome sci-fi shows (“Dark Angel,” “Tru Calling,” “Firefly”) on a whim. The premise of this new show sounds kinda cool too. Read more about it here.

Variety is reporting that NBC has shelved plans for “Heroes: Origins,” a spinoff series of the hit show, and the possibility of a writers' strike contributed to the decision. Quite frankly, I’m glad. Until they fix the original series, there’s no need for another nail in the coffin.

No comments: