Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Sarah Conner Chronicles: two thumbs way up!

I was able to catch both episodes of The Sarah Conner Chronicles today, and I was blown away by how much I enjoyed it. Let me preface this by saying, The Terminator films were a favorite when I was a kid. I practically know every line from T1 and T2. I was alternately looking forward to/dreading this TV show based on the films. First of all, I didn't think I'd be so easily accepting of a new cast. Plus, I can't think of a successful attempt ever to translate a film franchise to a TV series. Ah, scratch that. I suppose Buffy the Vampire Slayer counts.

Anyway, I thought the first five minutes of The Sarah Conner Chronicles pilot were incredible. Action-packed, edge-of-your-seat stuff. I also have to say Lena Headey and Thomas Dekker were awesome as Sarah and John Connor, and that's really saying something as much as I loved Linda Hamilton and Edward Furlong in those roles. And Summer Glau as Cameron/new Terminator rocked! Really, I thought the pilot was incredibly well-written, well-acted and well-directed. After one episode, this became, hands down, my favorite new show of the season. I don't know yet what other fans thought, but I hear it kicked booty in the ratings, which is great. I'm just glad to have a quality, scripted show to look forward to during the writer's strike.

No comments: