Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"Smallville": My take on Season 8

Now that I’ve ranted about the things I don’t like about “Smallville,” I’m going to try and envision in writing what I’d love to see happen in the final season of the show.

First of all, Clark seriously needs to spend more quality time with Jor-El at the Fortress of Solitude learning more about Krypton’s history, Kal-El’s purpose and abilities, and doing some full-on training with Kara’s help. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I have nothing against Kristen Kreuk, the actress, but I’m really glad she’ll only be in a handful of episodes next season. With Lana out of sight, Clark can focus on and mature to the point of accepting his true destiny. Being a shipper myself, I sympathize with the Clana fans, and I truly believe they deserve a rewarding end to Clark and Lana’s romantic relationship. We all knew from day one that Clark ends up with Lois Lane, not Lana Lang, but because Clana fans have been so tortured throughout the years, I would love to see Lana and Clark realize they are not destined to be together and part on good terms as friends. Let’s get rid of this dark Lana. In fact, I say let Lana have an epiphany about what she’s become and decide to leave Clark and Smallville behind to find herself again. Let the character depart with some integrity, for crying out loud.

Lex Luther has been the villain-in-training for far too long now. Bring on evil Lex once and for all. Well, we all know this is happening – probably next week – so with Rosenbaum probably only returning for part of the season as well, I’d love to see more villains from the mythos arrive on the scene. Brainiac has been awesome, for the most part. I wouldn’t mind seeing him on more, too.

It’s about time for more Clois. As much as it pains me to admit it, I don’t mean in the romantic sense either. It’s way too early for that. Clark has shown practically no interest in journalism since he graduated, so let’s get him in journalism school or something already! As a newspaper reporter myself of some 10+ years, I can say while it is possible for someone to get a job in a newsroom without a degree, it wouldn't happen at a paper as renowned as The Daily Planet. Besides, it would be kind of fun to see Clark interning under Lois’ guidance at the Daily Planet. It would be a good idea for them to start sprinkling seeds of affection between these two because, right now, I can’t ever see “Smallville’s” Clark and Lois pairing up. Clark acts like he hates Lois half the time. I could do without Jimmy being on the show, but since we’re stuck with him now, shouldn’t we see Jimmy developing some hero worship toward Clark by now? This Jimmy is too cocky and competitive with Clark. I know “Smallville” doesn’t stick to the mythos, but come on, some things are just sacred.

Finally, I know Tom Welling will never put on the suit, and I’m fine with that. I think, however, it would great if in one of the final scenes we see Clark find the suit, maybe a gift from Jor-El, and could be holding it. Next scene, we see people – Chloe among them -- looking up to the sky in wonder. Wouldn’t that be awesome?

I have no idea how the writers could ever explain Lois, Jimmy, Perry and so many others not recognizing Clark as Superman, but I guess anything is possible. And, if Supergirl sticks around – and I hope she does because I’ve grown really fond of that girl on this show – I’d love to see a spin-off series based on her. But, that’s just me.

That’s my two cents’ worth, in case anyone cares. I’ll end with this awesome Youtube video I found that makes my little Clois shipper heart beat all aflutter. Check it out. Did I mention it’s awesome?

No comments: