Thursday, November 13, 2008

Spidey 4, Iron Man sequel and silly ideas

It’s been a while since I’ve posted, so a lot of the news I’m excited about is probably old news to many of you.

First of all, Tobey Maguire has signed on for Spider-Man 4 and 5. Gee, did he finally realize Spidey was his bread and butter and the best role he’s ever played? Since I love these movies so much, I’m excited by this. I know not everyone liked Spidey 3, but I actually loved it, Gwen Stacey’s character aside. I’d like to see more Spider-Man movies on the big screen.

Robert Downey Jr. has also signed on for Iron Man 2 and an Avengers movie. How awesome is that? Once again Marvel will be beating DC to the punch by putting its superhero league on the big screen first. Last I heard, the Justice League movie is pretty much dead in the water.

On a personal note, I’ve decided to hone my skills as a screenwriter by doing my own take on Wonder Woman, a movie that has been in limbo for as long as I can remember. If I had to guess, I’d say the reason we haven’t seen a movie for Wonder Woman yet is because, let’s face it, she’s not an easy character to modernize. Based on everything I’ve heard, anyone who has touched the project has tried to do just that. Then the problem becomes how do you make her character relevant today? How can you modernize her in a world that already has Buffy, Charlie’s Angels and Sarah Conner battling bad guys? Wonder Woman might be the first female superhero but she’s not the only one anymore.

I think it’s possible to bring her into this century, but I also don’t see why she can’t just stick to the WWII era fighting Nazis. Keep it simple. Then again, I might just pen a manuscript and try to do a book instead. Kevin Anderson is one of my role models, after all. Yeah, maybe I need to write him for advice on breaking into the genre. Wonder if he’d reply? I’d love, love, love to write a Supergirl story. I really have an idea that I think would be fantastic for her, but alas, who am I? Plus, Supergirl has always been the problem child of DC, it seems. No writer has yet found his or her niche with her like Gail Simone has with Wonder Woman. Too bad. I’m bursting with ideas and see a lot of potential with the character. In my opinion, Supergirl’s identity has never been clearly defined as anything other than Superman’s cousin. Her backstory and personality has been rewritten so many times, it’s hard to get a good feel for the character. However, I like how Geoff Johns is using her in Action Comics right now.

No comments: