Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Update: Smallville, Supernatural and Vampire Diaries

My TV viewing for this season has been a little off. If my best friend won’t watch a show with me (i.e. Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, The Bachelor, etc.), then I have to record it and watch it on my own later. Unfortunately, this means I’ve fallen behind on “The Vampire Diaries” and “Supernatural” this year. Amazingly enough, I manage to watch “Smallville” not long after it airs.

Now that we’re approaching or already on hiatus for these three shows, it will help me catch up soon, but after catching up on some of the recent episodes of Vampire Diaries and Supernatural, I thought I’d make a few updated comments about these CW shows I’m fangirling over.

Vampire Diaries. I wasn’t sure I’d stick with this one, but it’s gotten a lot better the past few episodes I’ve watched, which means I’m probably hooked now. Stefan has grown on me, but I still prefer the much snarkier Damon simply because of his wicked sense of humor. The addition of witches and more vampires has injected the show with fresh blood (pun intended), and I can see now why people are talking about this show so much. It’s really not bad at all, now that it has found its legs. I’m still not caught up, but the previews for the next episode I have to watch showed some serious skin between Elena and Stefan. Or was it supposed to be Stefan and Katherine? Hmmmm….

Supernatural.
I still say this is the best show on television, and it’s not because I’m a tad bit obsessed with Jensen Ackles either. It’s really, really good. I mean, I went from laughing my head off during two recent satirically funny episodes to bawling like a baby in another more dramatic episode. Did you see the episode mocking Supernatural fans at a Supernatural convention? Hilarious. And did you see “Abandon All Hope,” the last episode before it went on hiatus? OMG. Heartbreaking. I tear up just thinking about it. I still can't believe they killed Jo and Ellen. And how! RIP, brave Jo and Ellen. Rest in peace. I mean, that look on Jensen as Dean and Jared as Sam's faces when the building exploded. Oh gosh, I'm crying again. Jared and Jensen do a bang-up job as worthy of Emmy nominations as more mainstream actors, but it’ll never happen because they’re buried on the CW. And the storyline this year has just been compelling. God is a legitimate, although MIA, character on the show now, and so is Lucifer, but the focus is still on the relationship between these two brothers and the few who stand beside them in a full-on fight against evil. I admit, even if it is wrong to say, I love me some Castiel. He’s one hot angel, and he has terrific chemistry with Jensen Ackles. So glad he was added to the show as a regular this year. Three terrific actors. Three hot pieces of eye candy. I used to just “like” Supernatural and Sam and Dean. I realize now that I’m quite emotionally attached to these two characters, so much so I can’t bare the thought of the show ever ending, which is a distinct possibility this year. I’ll try not to think about it until it actually happens. I refuse to abandon all hope just yet. :-P

Smallville. Holy smokes, Superman. I am still totally loving the full-on Lois and Clark action this season. I did a happy fangirl squeal at my TV set when the last episode ended with Lois and Clark holding hands after agreeing to try dating. I really, really loved the episode where Lois got transported to the future. I had to keep reminding myself this is a show for a young audience because I was really tempted to scream at my TV for not showing enough skin when future-Lois and future-Clark hit the sheets. It was a nice shout-out to all the Superman comic and Clois fans out there and made me very, very happy. But I didn’t like the bleak ending to Lois’s future, where Clark, Chloe, Tess and Oliver all died in battle against Zod, but thank God Clark now knows what happened (even if Lois doesn’t remember) and can prevent that future from happening. I hope. I’m still not enthused about the overall darker tone of the season, but I won’t start on and on again about how Superman isn’t Batman nor is he a dark character. For the most part, this season has been really good. I’m psyched for the 2-hour Smallville/Justice League movie in February. Even if it doesn’t have Wonder Woman or Batman, it looks like it’s going to be awesome!

No comments: