Saturday, July 24, 2010

Reports from Comic Con


San Diego Comic-Con, the world famous Mecca for geeks everywhere, kicked off its shenanigans this week, and the reports pouring out from it make me wish I’d packed up my new car (never mind I have no money) and made the pilgrimage myself. Alas, thank goodness for media outlets such as the L.A. Times and USA Today, who have devoted entire sections of their websites to keeping the homebound updated on the event. I’m excited by the news I’m hearing so far. Here are some notable highlights from Comic Con so far.

• Today’s panel for Green Lantern seems to have gone really well, with Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively pumping up the crowd for this superhero flick. My favorite quote to read from the panel so far came from Reynolds. He was asked what superhero he’d play if he weren't in Green Lantern. "I would be a wookie," Reynolds said. "That way I could be cute, but still dangerous." He he. Love him.

• One of my personal favorite actors Brandon Routh was at the panel for Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, along with Anna Kendrick, Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead. It sounds as if this was the panel to be at, since the director actually let audience members see the film with the cast in attendance. If I wasn’t already so freaking excited to see this movie, the feedback I’m hearing makes me wish this one were playing in theaters, like, right now. I predict a hit, and hopefully, the idiots at Warner Brothers will rethink their decision and keep Brandon for the next Superman film. But don’t get me started on that rumor.

• Linda Hamilton is playing Chuck’s mom on NBC's Chuck next season. That is awesome!

• The True Blood panel revealed a trailer for the remainder of this season. Love the show, but I don't get HBO so I'm waiting for DVD. Ugh!

• Seth Rogan held his panel for The Green Hornet yesterday and poked fun at the fact people were probably confused by The Green Hornet and The Green Lantern. Sadly, I have no interest in seeing a movie about The Green Hornet. And if I’m reading things right about the underwhelming fan reaction at Comic Con, no one else does either.

• Steven Spielburg is executive producing a new TV series on TNT about a post-apocalyptic world after an alien attack? No way! How come I’ve never heard about this before. And when does it start?

• I think the AMC‘s The Walking Dead sounds like a show I will definitely be watching this October. Love me some zombies (which is really weird since this is the only movie creature that terrified me as a child). I guess my niece Brittney and my friend Christy helped me overcome my fear by forcing me to watch the Dawn of the Dead remake, like, a zillion times.

• How sad is it that I’ve seen the TV movie Guillermo del Toro refers to in this article? And I can’t wait to see his remake!

No comments: