Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Welling as big-screen Superman? Wonder Woman script rumors too?

I am a fangirl of a lot of things sci-fi/fantasy/comics, but there were really only two stories I was looking for information about from Comic Con this year -- Superman: The Man of Steel movie news and whether or not Warner Brothers is finally committing to a Wonder Woman film. Although I haven't found any "official" announcements about either, I have pieced together some interesting rumors and tidbits from interviews and news clips and come up with some speculation of my own.

The biggest being the fact that, one, Tom Welling is open to wearing the Superman suit both on the small screen and on the big screen (gasp!). For years, the report has been that he would never wear the suit on "Smallville" because he simply didn't want to (remember the "Smallville" no flights, no tights policy he and the producers supposedly mandated together?). Guess what? He's putting the suit on this year, and from the looks of things, flying too! The rumor mill has also said Tom Welling didn't want to play Superman on the big screen, and guess what? This interviewer directly asks him about it, and he says he's always been open to the idea! He also confirmed at Comic Con that he has, at some point, been approached about playing Superman in a big-screen movie but he wouldn't reveal any more details. Could he be talking about the new reboot? Hmmmm. I'm starting to think that maybe he is.



My take on this is simple. If Brandon Routh is losing the part, the only person I'd premeditatedly want in the role would be Tom Welling. I love him on "Smallville," and since the show is ending, it would be perfect timing for him to leap into the big-screen reboot. However, if he takes the leap, so should Erica Durance as Lois Lane. I simply could not bear to watch Tom's Superman against any other Lois.

Sadly, I still don't think this will happen. First of all, Christopher Nolan will likely soon name a director for the project, and it's the director's decision on who will play Superman. I just can't see Nolan or any other director falling back on Welling for the part. It's called a reboot for a reason. They want to start fresh. More is the pity. Sigh.

Even more sadly, I've only been able to find one report about Wonder Woman from Comic Con at all that doesn't pertain to reactions on the new costume. I'm not even sure the rumor is credible, but supposedly, David Goyer has been asked to write a Wonder Woman script. Not sure how I feel about this. Goyer has been Warner Brothers superhero go-to guy since he wrote "Batman Begins," but some of us have never gotten over his butchering of some other franchises (Blade, anyone?). I'm actually hoping this rumor is false. Not a big Goyer fan here. Not at all.

Personally, I don't know why in God's name Warner Brothers hasn't asked Melissa Rosenberg to write a treatment for Wonder Woman. She worked on the TV series "Birds of Prey," she herself is 6-foot-something, and she's hot after the Twilight saga. I think she could do it, but maybe that's only wishful thinking on my part.

Unfortunately, I don't think a Wonder Woman film will be announced anytime soon. What a letdown.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If u r really a girl who digs this stuff, u r amazing. I think I want to marry u! not kidding

Pysched 4 Smallville's new season. I am beyond excited to see Welling wear the suit and to see how it plays with Lois knowing the secret now. omg, and pa kent is back this season. how freaking awesome is that?!

Routh should play Supes in the next movie. period.

Wonder Woman will be a hard character to take to the big screen. she doesn't have an easy origin story that people can relate to thats the problem. still she is awesome and i hope they figure something out.

love this blog

Anonymous said...

Me again. meant to ask you some questions. this will tell me if we r really compatible. ha ha

1. who is your favorite superman villain?

2. who would you cast as steve trevor in a wonder woman movie? ( i have an idea who i think would be great)

3. who would win in a fight, darkseid or metallo and why?

4. favorite comic book writer?

Angie said...

1. Favorite Superman villain is The Toyman. He cracks me up and is also super wicked.

2. I would cast Nathan Fillion, most likely because he voiced the animated character and so now he's stuck in my mind as Steve Trevor. I might also cast Jensen Ackles just because I like him so much.

3. Darkseid would totally kick Metallo's butt. Metallo is another favorite villain of mine, but let's face it, he's all talk and no brains.

4. Fave comic book writer is Gail Simone followed closely by Geoff Johns.

Thanks for visiting the blog!
- Angie