Monday, January 31, 2011

Clark is cast, so who will play Lois Lane?

Now that Henry Cavill has been cast as Clark/Superman, the rumors are flying rampant about who will play his love interest, Lois Lane.

In a lot of ways, Lois's casting is more important to me because I love the character so much, possibly even more than Clark/Superman himself since, well, I've wanted to be Lois Lane since I was a wee little lass glued to the TV set watching "Superman: The Movie." And with some fantastic actresses having set the bar pretty high already -- I'm personally a huge fan of Margot Kidder, Teri Hatcher and Erica Durance -- it will be nail-biting for me until they announce the new actress to step into these iconic high heels.

Various news outlets are reporting that Anne Hathaway was the frontrunner for the role, but she instead opted to play Catwoman in the next Batman flick. All I can say to that news is, Thank you, God. I like Hathaway OK, but I just don't see her as Lois Lane. Ever. Other possibilities mentioned include Kristen Stewart, Rachel McAdams, Jessica Biel, Kristen Bell and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

I would be OK with any of these talents landing the role because I'm a fan of each myself. But I think some -- McAdams, Winstead, Bell -- would be better choices than others -- namely Stewart and Biel.

My first choice would be an unknown actress, who won't bring any expectations or past-role baggage to the film. But, I've thought long and hard and I have two better-known actresses I think should be in the running (but I have no knowledge or information that they are).

My top choices:
Emily Blunt. Ms. Blunt has played a wide range of roles and even been nominated for awards for some of them. Yes, she's also British and possibly older than what they're looking for, but she has the talent, the spunk and the looks to play LL better than any of the names mentioned above. I can't imagine she would accept or even be offered the role, though. I doubt Warner Brothers would attach two British actors to the two most pivotal roles in the film. Too bad. I think she'd be kickass in the part. Since she had to pull out of playing The Black Widow in "Iron Man 2" and passed on playing the lead love interest in "Captain America," maybe LL is the role she was meant to play?

Dianna Agron. I know she's blond and not all that well known to anyone who doesn't watch "Glee," but if Agron can make me like a bitchy cheerleader turned unwed teenage mom turned sort-of good girl, I think she can pull off Lois if given the chance. She's also young and pretty and has a lesser chance of bringing the ghosts of former roles to the part. Besides, I think she and Cavill would look good together.

Who do you think should win the part of LL?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Olivia Wilde? Physically, she's perfect for the part, and she is great on HOUSE.

Anonymous said...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=29099

I say NO WAY to Kristen Stewart. She'd be terrible. Not enough spunk to play Lois. I personally want the role to go to odette yustman.

Anonymous said...

How long until we hear something on casting for Lois? Anyone know?