Monday, March 28, 2011

Why I haven't written off the Superman reboot film quite yet


We just learned who will play Lois Lane in the "Superman" reboot film, and rumors of filming in Chicago beginning in May are flying around faster than a speeding bullet. Pre-production on the Superman film is heating up, and most fans are happy. After all, it only took decades for us to finally get a new Superman film off the ground the last time around.

When I heard Warner Bros. was going ahead with a new film for 2012, I was overjoyed. Then came the news that Zack Snyder would direct. OK, my enthusiasm waned somewhat. Not the biggest Zack Snyder fan here. But I'll give anyone a chance to prove himself. Finally, we got our new Superman, Henry Cavill, and I was on the fence again. I would have much preferred Brandon Routh retain the role, but I like Cavill, and again, I'm willing to give him a chance. Then came word of casting Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent. Odd choices, but OK. I admit, my enthusiasm for this movie has taken a nosedive pretty much every week news comes out about it. For a Superman fan who LOVES anything Superman, that's really saying something. After all, it's the character I love more than the actors who have portrayed him.

My biggest bone of contention has been with Zack Snyder's comments about his version of the film. He seems to be on the "let's make Superman dark" bandwagon from the beginning. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but I think you can pretty much tell each time he opens his mouth about this character that he isn't really all that familiar with the canon, or with the character of Superman himself. That really irks me.

I reluctantly dragged myself to the theater this weekend to see Snyder's newest film, "Sucker Punch," because I'm curious about his style of filmmaking now. It wasn't that I didn't want to see the movie -- hey, I'm all about girl empowerment stories -- but I feared I would absolutely hate it and, therefore, collapse in cardiac arrest over thoughts of what Snyder plans to do with Superman.

"Sucker Punch" wasn't a bad movie. It wasn't great, but I've seen worse. It actually reconfirmed that I should give Snyder a chance to have a go at Superman, especially after his comments at the premiere.

"Superman will be a documentary compared to this," Snyder told The Hollywood Reporter, comparing it to "Sucker Punch."

Well, OK then. That's somewhat reassuring.

The truth is, I am still holding out hope for this Superman film. Call me an eternal optimist (or a sucker). I'll wait with baited breath until the first trailer premieres, and I might change my tune then. Until then, though, I'm encouraged by the fact I like Henry Cavill and Amy Adams, and am hoping I will like them in the roles I have loved so much when played by other great actors.

The true test will be the script. Without a good story, all of the best acting in the world won't save this movie. But my fingers are still crossed.

No comments: