Tuesday, June 14, 2011

DC Comic's relaunch, The Hunger Games, Wonder Woman, X-Men: First Class

Sorry, it’s been a while since I blogged here. For those of you who care, I sold a book to Carina Press that will be releasing on Oct. 31, 2011. It’s called “Cry Wolf” and if you’re a fan of “The X-Files,” “The Night Stalker,” “Fringe” or classic monster movie-type stories, please, please, please check it out. Don’t worry. I’ll remind you when it gets closer to its release date. So, I have been swamped with working on book edits and the such for that.

In the meantime, there has been a LOT of fangirl-y news to respond to. Oh, where to start?!

  • DC Comics is rebooting its entire line of characters and renumbering all of its comics, with new issues starting at No. 1. Why? Why? Why? This type of news is never pleasing to fans, and what I’ve seen reported so far hasn’t been too reassuring. Yes, I miss Superman’s red underwear, but basically he looks the same. I guess I will wait until the actual comics and stories arrive before I start throwing tomatoes at Geoff Johns and company. I’m hearing lots of rumors I don’t care for — no Clark and Lois? Instead, they might be pairing Clark with Diana? Oh, the horror!
  • “The Hunger Games” began filming in North Carolina last month. Even better, Entertainment Weekly featured Jennifer Lawrence in full-costume as Katniss, and wow! She still might be older than I initially would have liked, but Jennifer Lawrence completely has my vote on this one. The cover and feature story EW did rocks! And I’ve still got my fingers crossed I’ll get called to work as an extra….
  • The expected “Wonder Woman” TV pilot did not get picked up by NBC for the fall season, and the rumor is because the pilot was so terrible (even though NBC execs denied this later). You can get a taste of six or so seconds of the show online now (yes, I said 6 or 7 seconds). I imagine David E. Kelley and Co. are still shopping it around to other networks. Part of me is glad, because the premise I kept hearing sounded so ridiculous and this teaser did nothing to reassure me, but on the other hand, Wonder Woman fails to get some attention in Hollywood again — and that is never good news for WW fans. Supposedly a feature film is still in the works though. I guess we’ll have to wait and see how that shapes up.
  • “X-Men: First Class” premiered as the No. 1 movie a couple of weeks ago, and it’s still hanging on strong at the box office despite some tough competition. Naturally, I saw this one on opening weekend and loved it. I usually don’t like reboots or prequels, but this one was pretty good. The cast, including Jennifer Lawrence, was extraordinary! If you haven’t seen it, go now!
  • “Green Lantern” hits theaters this weekend. I’m still trying to decide if I want to go to the midnight showing Thursday night or not. I was gung-ho on this film until I started seeing all of the previews. Now, I admit, even I’m a little worried…

No comments: