Thursday, April 28, 2011

Superman is un-American? Breaking Dawn pics and more HG casting!


I don't normally report on actual comic books, but this Supes fangirl just can't resist this one. Some good news, and some (in my opinion) stupid news this week about my No. 1 Man of Steel - the landmark issue of Action Comics #900 hit stores yesterday and is all about our Big Blue Boy Scout.

On a really cool note, a dream team of writers contributed stories to the special issue, including David Goyer, writer of "Batman Begins" and the upcoming film "The Man of Steel"; Richard Donner, director of "Superman: The Movie"; Geoff Johns, DC Comics' chief creative officer and one of its most popular writers; and Damon Lindelof -- who oversaw "Lost's" six-season run. Yesterday CNN had a really fun Q&A with Lindelof that you should definitely read. It's nice to see the big guy getting some love and respect from DC Comics after the company has become so focused for so long on Batman.

Now, I haven't gotten my issue yet, but most major news outlets have reported about the issue #900 today because - are you ready for this? -- Superman renounces his U.S. Citizenship in this comic book. Time to tweak that catchphrase "truth, justice and the American way"?

Oh, for the love of all that is holy, why?

It really irks me when the comic book heads get crazy and change a major part of a character's identity like this. I mean, Superman is one of America's most recognizable icons. Always has been. Take that away, and what does that say to the rest of the world? I think it makes us laughable, personally.

Like I said, I haven't read the issue, but I really doubt there's any reason I can accept for this. Geez.

Don't worry. I still love you Superman. It's not your fault you're sometimes written badly.





Have you seen the newly released pictures from The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn? I have one word. OMG! The next issue of Entertainment Weekly looks like a must-have for my collection. Oh, that cover. Those photos! Must have, like, now!



We finally have confirmation that Elizabeth Banks will play Effie Trinket in The Hunger Games! With the movie scheduled to hit theaters in 11 months (or a little less), I'm starting to wonder what the hold up on filming is. Can we please cast Haymitch already? And I'm really loving the kids they're choosing for the other Tributes so far. How many does that leave yet to be cast? Fourteen, right? What about Greasy Sae? Portia? Cinna?!? See what I mean? Better get to work, casting peeps! Of course, the latests rumors involve Woody Harrelson, Lenny Kravitz, Stanley Tucci and John C. Reilly.

No comments: