Saturday, October 13, 2007

TV week in review

TV week in review:
Heroes — I think I’m in the minority because I haven’t been too majorly disappointed by Heroes so far this season. Some scenes have dragged, sure, but that was true of last season too. Plus, I thought things picked up this week with Peter displaying some Sylar-like tendencies and with the return of homicidal Sylar himself – without his powers! Can’t wait for Kristen Bell’s character introduction. That, hopefully, will be the icing on the cake.

My nit-pit complaints with Heroes are: I think the show has been a wee on the predictable side so far, and I don’t see the purpose of the brother and sister “heroes” yet. I don’t really know why I should care about those two, quite frankly. I’d rather have seen more of Nikki already, or more of Claire’s adorable new boyfriend-to-be. However, anyone else think there’s a possible creepy connection between Nathan and Claire’s new beau, since they can both fly and share the same coloring? Maybe I’m just being sick in my thoughts, but I hope fly-boy doesn’t turn out to be Claire’s brother or cousin or something. Since I’m usually wrong, I shouldn’t have put my sick thoughts out there, but …

Bionic Woman — Another show I haven’t found as disappointing as most. I’m glad to have the Bionic Woman back on TV, and I think Michelle Ryan is great in the role of Jamie. I didn’t think the premiere was as awesome as I’d hoped it would be, but it wasn’t terrible. The past two episodes have been pretty good, each one better and better. I’m pretty sure Will isn’t really dead and his motives for making Jamie bionic are obviously a little more sinister than originally appeared. Loved seeing Jamie and Sarah interact this week. I think the writers are doing a nice job of building up the mystery each episode. Is Jamie working for the good guys? Personally, I hope so; otherwise, I'll think they copied Alias a little too much. I also hope the change-up in showrunners behind the scenes benefits the show, not hurts it. This one has the most potential of any of the new shows I’ve seen, aside from Pushing Daisies, which I loved (but, it’s not superhero-related, so, moving on…)

Smallville — We're into the third episode, and I liked this week's episode better than the premiere and second episode so far. Kara really impressed me this week. To begin with, I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about having Supergirl on the show. Supergirl, from the comics I've read, is a character that seems to be the least defined of any character in the Superman mythos, if you ask me, so the Smallville writers can pretty much do whatever they want with her and not stray from one of the comic's storylines. I enjoyed seeing Kara being teenage rebellious while seeking Clark's admiration. After Jor-El's warning to Clark that Kara isn't what she seemed and he shouldn't trust her, I was afraid (and still worry) that the writers would try to go that route. The last Supergirl comic I read had her trying to kill Kal-El, so I stopped reading at that point. I prefer to see the El family fighting for the same team, thank you very much.
Aside from Kara, I wasn't as bothered by the Clark-Lana scenes as I expected to be in this episode. It seemed sort of weird to me that Lana accepted Kara and her powers without batting an eyelash - but it's been easy to block out the fact that she now knows Clark's secret. Did I mention how much I don't like Lana?

All in all, it was a good week of viewing.

No comments: