Tuesday, February 15, 2011

And, finally, “Mockingjay”


Since I’m sorta, kinda trying to document my reading of The Hunger Games trilogy, it’s time for an update. I’ve finished the second book in the series, “Catching Fire,” and holy cow! Did it seriously end that way?! I’m pulling my hair out because I so badly want to be reading the third book, “Mockingjay,” right now, it’s pathetic, but instead I’m writing a blog that pales in comparison. Not that that’s going to keep me from blogging, of course. Pathetic? Ehh, so what? And I suppose this all makes me seem like one of the people in the Capitol, doesn’t it?

I’ve read the first chapter of “Mockingjay” because, seriously, how could you not read it after that cliffhanger ending? But I forced myself to stop there because I was already so sleep-depraved from reading “Catching Fire” that I didn’t want to risk losing my job or anything when I collapsed on the floor from sheer exhaustion today.

So what was “Catching Fire” about? Here’s the description taken from Amazon.com:
Every year in Panem, the dystopic nation that exists where the U.S. used to be, the Capitol holds a televised tournament in which two teen "tributes" from each of the surrounding districts fight a gruesome battle to the death. In The Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, the tributes from impoverished District Twelve, thwarted the Gamemakers, forcing them to let both teens survive. In this rabidly anticipated sequel, Katniss, again the narrator, returns home to find herself more the center of attention than ever. The sinister President Snow surprises her with a visit to threaten everyone she loves if she doesn’t tow the line, but can she? Catching Fire is divided into three parts: Katniss and Peeta’s mandatory Victory Tour through the districts, preparations for the 75th Annual Hunger Games, and a truncated version of the Games themselves. Slower paced than its predecessor, this sequel explores the nation of Panem: its power structure, rumors of a secret district, and a spreading rebellion, ignited by Katniss and Peeta’s subversive victory. Katniss also deepens as a character. Though initially bewildered by the attention paid to her, she comes almost to embrace her status as the rebels’ symbolic leader. Though more of the story takes place outside the arena than within, this sequel has enough action to please Hunger Games fans and leaves enough questions tantalizingly unanswered for readers to be desperate for the next installment.

My thoughts after reading “Catching Fire” are this. Darn you, Suzanne Collins! I’ve never read any book series with romantic elements where it wasn’t predictable which boy the heroine would end up with by the end of the second book. If I hadn’t already peeked at the end of “Mockingjay” because the suspense was absolutely killing me, I would have no idea whatsoever who Katniss ends up choosing — her best friend, Gale, or her fellow tribute, Peeta? Katniss ping pongs back and forth in such a realistic and heartfelt way that it’s impossible to know for certain at this point who she would choose if she felt she lived in a world where she had that right.

Besides, we were introduced to hunky Finnick in this book. Not that I imagine anything romantic will develop between him and Katniss, but I’d love to take him myself. Such a yummy character. And, so far, he’s the only character I’ve been able to cast in my head as I read him. I think Zac Efron would make a terrific Finnick, and I’m not even a big Zac Efron fan! But he fits the physical description so well, doesn’t he? Yum. (OK, let me put my inner Cougar back up now).

If I thought “The Hunger Games” was a thought-provoking page-turner, “Catching Fire” was the same times ten. So how does that bode for “Mockingjay?”

On one hand, I’m hesitant to forge ahead. It seems each book intensifies with emotion, violence and death. I cried a little when Rue died in “The Hunger Games.” I cried a lot when Mags died in “Catching Fire.” Will I need to seek therapy when whoever dies in this one? Will my beloved Haymitch be killed? Finnick? If it’s one thing I’ve learned from these books, it’s that no one is safe. A war is brewing, so deaths are guaranteed if the story is to be effective in getting its point across. In fact, I wouldn’t put it past Ms. Collins to kill Katniss herself (thank God I already know from my peeking that doesn’t happen).

Will “Mockingjay” be as good of a read as “The Hunger Games” and “Catching Fire”? Ask me in a few days. I’m sure I’ll also lose sleep reading this one to find out.

No comments: