Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"Smallville" and other superhero news


SMALLVILLE. First of all, "Smallville" is back, and I loved it! Great return episode after the hiatus. Tom Welling makes an awesome Clark Kent, let me tell ya. I love that man. I'm really psyched about the 2-hour Smallville movie premiering this Friday night: "Absolute Justice." Not only was it written by Superman comic book writer Geoff Johns, it will introduce me to a whole slate of superheroes I'm not familiar with - Stargirl, Hawkman, Dr. Fate. It'll see the current Justice League of America (Superman, Green Arrow, The Flash) meeting up with superheroes from the past - heroes not even Oliver or Clark knew existed. And it should mark the initiation of the JLA on "Smallville" as a real organization. Until now, it's just been hinted at. If it shows Clark, Oliver, John Jones, Bart and the other current heroes sitting around the JLA table when it ends, I will probably cry tears of fangirl happiness. I am such a geek. I can't wait!

CAPTAIN AMERICA. Film Journal got an update from director Joe Johnston about the movie Marvel Studios' "The First Avenger: Captain America." No actor has been confirmed yet, but here's what Johnston had to say.

"We're in prep," Johnston says. "Rick Heinrichs is production-designing and we're set up down in Manhattan Beach [California]. It's the part of the process that I love the most," he enthuses. "We have eight or ten really talented artists, and we all just sit around all day and draw pictures and say, 'Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we could do this?' It's that phase of the production where money doesn't matter: ‘Let's put all the greatest stuff up on the wall and [then later] see what we can afford.'" The film, he says at this early stage, will begin "in 1942, 1943" during World War II. "The stuff in the ’60s and ’70s [comic books] we're sort of avoiding. We're going back to the ’40s, and then forward to what they're doing with Captain America now."

Hmmm. I can't help but wonder, if they make this a period film, if it will work. But I'd rather see Steve Rogers fighting in WWII because I just don't think a guy fighting bad guys in that costume in our time would work.

AVENGERS. A separate interview also talked to Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige about Iron Man 2, Thor and The Avengers film. "It's fun now, and we're introducing some new characters in ['Iron Man 2']," he said. "But it's not about just cramming in lots of new people; that's sort of the cardinal sin of the sequel - adding in too many characters. This is totally Tony Stark's story. And that's gonna weave into Thor's story, and Steve Rogers' story, and it's already ingrained with Nick Fury's story and an organization known as S.H.I.E.L.D."

Translation: go see "Iron Man 2" to get a taste of what to expect in the other "Avenger" films. Iron Man 2 comes out May 7. I'm totally there.



GREEN LANTERN.
To shift back to a DC Comics superhero, I was so excited to read this article with director Martin Campbell at comingsoon.net about the Green Lantern movie. I'm crazy excited because Ryan Reynolds will be playing Hal Jordan (as you may or may not know, there have been multiple Green Lanterns over the years. Hal is my favorite!). My favorite superheroes have always been Superman and Spider-Man, but Green Lantern has become probably my third favorite in recent years after watching some of the Justice League animated films. I might go see this one at midnight when it comes out.

No comments: