Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Vampire Diaries, Supernatural to get new seasons, but what about Smallville?

First things first. Congratulations to the Supernatural cast and crew (and fandom!) for making it to 100 episodes! As much as I love Jensen Ackles (Dean), I have to admit I think Jared Padalecki (Sam) says the best ‘thank you’ to the fans in this video clip. Aww, thank you, Jared.



On the heels of that celebration came the news that Supernatural has received an early pickup for a sixth season from The CW!!! Yes! The Vampire Diaries was also renewed. Awesome! Now, as thrilled as I am about these early pickups, I was bummed for a couple of reasons. First of all, no pickup announcement was made for Smallville? Seriously? However, I found a few gossip sites that speculate that a pickup for my Smallville peeps is imminent — the CW just probably wants to make a big deal out of it because the next season will almost certainly be its last. Um, the last? Definitely, for sure the last? Ah, I think I need a hanky now. Sniff, sniff.

Another reason I’m kinda-sorta bummed even though I’m happy? Supernatural creator Eric Kripke is planning to step down as co-show-runner, along with his current co-show-runner, Robert Singer. While they promise to continue to act as hands-on executive producers, current writer/producer Sera Gamble will move into that role, taking over day-to-day operations of the series, reports EW.com.

Since Supernatural began, Kripke has said time and again that he had a concrete five-year plan for the show. And since season five has spent much of its time dealing with an apocalyptic battle between angels and the devil, with Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) caught in the middle, it seems like Kripke's plan was well in place and the show was set to end on a high note come May. However, since this season started, Kripke has also commented that he could now see how the story might continue.

Usually when a show’s frontrunner and creator leaves that position, the show starts sucking…bad. I’m gonna cross my fingers here though because Kripke has said he’ll be working closely with Gamble, and it’s not like she’s coming into this new. Gamble is an executive producer and talented writer who has been with the show since season one.

The Chicago Tribune's Maureen Ryan caught up with Ms. Gamble via email. Ms. Ryan asked Gamble if viewers might be seeing "The Apocalypse 2: The Squeakquel," and Gamble replied: "No, you will not be getting Apocalypse, The Squeakquel in Season 6 (that's hilarious). We're climaxing that story this season. We've been working on the Season 6 storyline for quite some time, and we're very excited about it. We have lots of ideas, and are grateful for the chance to keep the show going. Please tell the fans that the writers say thank you! We so appreciate the support."

Personally, I’ve been on Team Gamble from the beginning, since way back in season 3 when she gave a fan a few minutes for a podcast interview that left me both laughing at her wisecracks (I’m sure she writes for Dean…she has to) and thinking the woman was pretty darn cool. She’s one of my role models. A hip chick writing for an awesome TV show (which I still say is the best on TV right now). Nope. I’m not worried. … Much.

I just can’t help but wonder now…if Jensen is locked into season six, does that mean he won’t be able to make the Captain America movie? Guess so. Darn. I was really looking forward to seeing him in those tights. Sigh.

No comments: